Sales goals: Leadership in the edible refined oil segment
- Position Sundrop as the healthy oil for healthy people
- Ensure that this did not erode the delivery of the taste benefit.
- Positioning had to be perceptually as far away from Saffola.
- Young, modern and premium feel
- Execution had to be distinct and original to stand out from the clutter
- Stage in PLC: Introductory, therefore relatively large expenditure
- Market share: new product
Saffola (Safflower oil) also used the health platform but was associated with heart patients and less taste
Flora and Sunola (Sunflower oils)
Health was chosen as the platform, along with a supporting claim for taste. People who were healthy and energetic were concerned about the long-term prospects of their health. Thus ‘Health’
- Was related to maintenance of good health
- Was applicable to all members of the family
- Was characterized by lively energetic people
- Thus the message and (positioning): ‘The Healthy Oil for Healthy People’
Primary media: Television ad 30 seconds.
- Within 6 months, Sundrop became the largest selling refined sunflower oil.
- Redefined the category and expanded the Sunflower oil segment from 2.71% to 23% in 6 months, and 42% in 1997
- Still the largest selling sunflower oil brand holds 15% of branded oil market.
- The ad was shown for over 10 year