This is a six-stage process, run in-house usually by a Strategic Management Group. It is supported by various consultants and accessible to external stakeholders. It is a useful method for public and voluntary organizations.
- Historical context, examination of previous trends and the emergence of a future vision for the way ahead
- Situational Assessment, blame free SWOT Analysis of the present situation
- Strategic Issue Agenda, identify issues from points 1 and 2 above and acknowledge the relationships that exist between points 4-7
- Strategic Options, define as many positive solutions to meet the SWOT analysis and future vision. Define strategies, and outline costs, feasibility, acceptability and effectiveness.
- Feasibility Assessment, a selection of strategies is examined through Stakeholder Analysis and Resource Analysis.
- Implementation, to evaluate the stakeholders