This article Compares Radio and Magaziens as media of communication.
Media Type: Radio
Strengths of Radio as media:
- Mass use of radio by audience, particularly in cars on the way to work and home. 90% of India has access to Radio which is unmatched by any other media
- Very effective for reaching the large rural audience.
- High geographic and demographic reach
- Targeting is possible through selection of channel and programme
- Low literacy rates mean that the people hardly read newspapers and radio is the only medium that they can understand. They can’t afford a TV set. Therefore radio is the most popular.
Weaknesses of Radio as a media:
- Audio communication only
- Misunderstanding: sometimes there might be a misconception regarding the radio ad as it is only heard.
- Now you hear it, Now you don’t
- Lower attention levels than television from the audience
- RJ needs training: it is very important that the Radio Jockey is trained enough to deliver the ad. Sometimes the voice really matters. If the voice is irritating then there is a chance that the campaign may flop.
Media Type: Magazines
Strengths of Magazines as media:
- High quality reproduction, of color images
- Targeting is possible through specialist publications
- Coffee table effect – advert can be referred back to
- Good pass on readership
- Longer life span & reference value
- Good supplement to TV: magazines reach special target groups which is not possible only through TV ads
Weaknesses of Magazines as a media:
- Static media, not suitable for product demonstration
- Control of the positioning of adverts is often under the control of magazine editor, rather than the sponsor
- Lengthy lead-time between advert being placed and magazine being published